The Epistle of St. James is a highly important work of the New Testament. The key concept of the necessity of works along with faith is expressed in this Letter. In addition, the Epistle of St. James is rich in content, such as the importance of living God’s word, being impartial, controlling the tongue, and the danger of worldliness and wealth.
REAL WISDOM AND ITS OPPOSITE
Who is a wise man, and imbued with knowledge among you?
• Let him shew, by a good conversation, his work in the meekness of wisdom. 1
• But if you have bitter zeal, and there be contentions in your hearts; glory not, and be not liars against the truth. For this is not wisdom, descending from above: but earthly, sensual, devilish.
• For where envying and contention is, there is inconstancy, and every evil work.
• But the wisdom, that is from above,
– first indeed is chaste
– then peaceable
– easy to be persuaded
– consenting to the good
– full of mercy and good fruits
– without judging
– without dissimulation
And the fruit of justice is sown in peace, to them that make peace.
By Charles Anyiam-Osigwe
Photo Credit: Pride Images.